Are You Really Analyzing Your Client? Ideal Hair Guide for the Top 7 Face Shapes
Muzaffer Topal is a recognized hairdresser and educator who has appeared in hair shows worldwide, magazines and television shows with 25 years of experience. As a trainer for Pivot Point, he has trained more than 3500 hairstylists in Turkey, and continued his passion in Miami as an instructor.
Muzaffer has been performing his art and talent in Palm Beach, Florida since 2010 and now explains to us the measurements involved in the artistry of haircutting for the ideal face shape.
As designers we must know different face shapes, then we must understand the lifestyle of the client (we might even have to make a character analysis of the individual). To have the best result in hair cutting we must see the shape of the face, and choose the best hair style for our client. So let's talk about the 7 different face shapes and their ideal models. The right hairstyle can help to de-emphasis prominent features, accentuate your best assets, and make you look and feel your best. Hair is an optical illusion. It can make you look older, younger, poorer, richer.
1. Round Shaped Face: This face usually has a soft and balanced look. If the person is not happy with their round facial shape, and wants to have a more a narrow/oval look, then they must prefer a cut which gives volume. This way the emphasis will be more on the hair than the face. Cuts that have front strokes will make your face thinner. (Pinches of hair accumulated more on the front will make your face look thinner.)
2. Square Shaped Face: This type of face has more of a sharp look but it’s also a balanced shape. If you don’t want to change your square shape, the best hair cut will be a square cut. But if you want to soften your complexion then you should prefer rounder styles. For example, you can use bangs or pieces of hair towards your temples.
3. Oblong Shaped Face: If you have an oblong/rectangular face and want it to look shorter, the chin level hair cut would be ideal for you. This hair cut will give the face a more balanced look.
4. Oval Shaped Face: If you have an oval face, you are in luck as this type of face will adhere to many different styles of haircuts. If you want to add a bit of length to your face you would have to prefer a long hair style, or get volume upwards which would give you a more rectangular look. I would recommend angled bangs for this type of face.
5. Reverse-Triangle Shaped Face: With this type of face it is easy to make changes and apply different haircuts. It is also ideal for make-up. If you want your face to stand out more, you should prefer short hair styles by adding more volume upwards. But if you want to give your face a softer and balanced look, then you should choose a haircut that creates more volume on the back of the neck, and less volume upwards (towards the top of your head).
6. Triangle Shaped Face: A triangle look might show people as less energetic and tired, but choosing the right haircut will add a more energetic look. The ideal cut is having short sideburns and adding more volume upwards with square shaped cuts.
7. Diamond Shaped Face: Almost any style haircut will go with this face shape. Long, short, straight, wavy, or even bangles would work fine for a diamond-shape face. You just need to discuss some of the details with your stylist to determine which cut would suit you the most.
By Muzaffer Topal
Posted on 11.01.2017
PRAVANA Color Collective Head Colorist Presley Poe (@presleypoe on Instagram!) used the brand new PRECIOUS METALS Collection to create this gorgeous, wearable look on PRAVANA’s own Senior Vice President of Sales and Education Michelle Chandler!
Hailee Steinfeld nailed the magenta carpet in a bold & edgy look at last night’s 2017 Billboard Music Awards in Las Vegas, Nevada. Hailee’s stylist Gregory Russell used Matrix’s Style Link and Biolage R.A.W. lines in order to achieve her slicked back loose cascading waves.